Can I get retrained  for my worker’s compensation injury when I can’t do my job anymore?

Yes but the benefits are limited.

If you cannot return to my date of injury job due to your  worker’s compensation injury then you are entitled to a supplemental job displacement voucher (SJDV) This money in the amount of $6,000.00 can be used  for retraining. If you prefer you can work with a counselor you can get reimbursement for a new computer up to $1,000.00  and a printer up to $500.00 instead.  For everyone who gets a voucher you can then apply for Return to Work Supplement which pays you directly $5,000.00. The program can be found at:

Other California governmental programs that provide help with retraining can be found at the Department of Rehabilitation at :

To be eligible for services, an individual must:

1)     Have a physical or mental impairment that substantially impedes his / her ability to secure employment, and vocational rehabilitation services are required to prepare for, secure, retain, or regain employment consistent with the applicant’s unique strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, abilities, interests, and informed choice;

2)     Be able to benefit from the DOR’s services in terms of an employment outcome in an integrated setting.

Tom R Johnson Attorney at Law
865 Howe Ave Suite 205
Sacramento CA 95825

(916) 922-9902